Monday 27 August 2012

WHAT'S UP WITH THE LETTER 'U' (GUEST BLOG)



DANIEL DINNIE - AUTHOR OF THROUGH THE CRIMSON MIRROR - BOOK 1
 
Daniel just  as he is!
I was helping one of my editors get his book on Kindle the other day. While working on his manuscript, my spell check kept telling me that he had spelt many words incorrectly. However, upon further inspection, I noticed that my spell check is set to
US English. Therefore, it picks on words like favourite because it has a u in it. I dont know why but Im definitely fan of the US, [if there are any American princesses out there, who wish to whisk me away, this is your chance ;)] certainly over the UK (no offence people in the UK)

This experience must have planted the seed, because as I was driving the other day, I couldnt help but think what the purpose of the letter u is So then, I wrote about it (evidently), and this is what I scribbled. Its a real rambling piece of writing about absolutely nothing important ;)

Whats up with the letter u? It seems to be an almost pointless letter I mean favourite or favorite? It does not really matter. The inclusion of the u did not change the meaning or even enhance it. So really, its only there to please the British (say that part with an English accent). Colour or color? Honour or honor? Endeavoured or endeavored? Neighbour or neighbor? Rumour or rumor? Its the same story with all of these.

Maybe Im just lazy. Maybe the Americans are lazy. Lazy or not the good ol US of A is still the largest economy in the world. Yes, yes, its tough times for them currently and China is nipping at their heels, but for now, they cling onto their number one spot.

It seems the English language all started, well in England (go figure). However, America, the bullies that they are (i.e. the biggest economy in the world) decided they wanted it their way and made the necessary changes. Its kind of like them starting wars when they dont get their own way (WMDs, ya right, my left foot). Lets just hope China doesnt get too much bigger else, who knows what our alphabet will look like :)

I was born in Durban, South Africa in April 1983. I didn
t have a very happy childhood. When I look around, I see so many more children going through similar things. They just manifest what they are going through in different ways, the most common manifestations being drugs and alcohol. Thats why I write about my childhood now and promote my book.
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/daniel.dinnie.book

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/daniel_dinnie

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00904HFTQ

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/215577

Web: www.daniel-dinnie.wozaonline.co.za

Blog: www.daniel-dinnie.wozaonline.co.za/Blog

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/daniel-dinnie/54/140/667

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment